At this training, which is designed for 3 days, students learn the principles of implementing and operation process of ONTAP clusters. The training will cover the following important topics: ONTAP cluster components, recommendations and best practices for cluster implementing, access control and administrator account creation process, network and storage resource management, virtual machines for storage, tools for the Storage Efficiency, cluster upgrade process and installation patches.
During the laboratory works, students will increase their experience in configuring and administering the ONTAP cluster through the command line interface and through the graphical user interface of the OnCommand System Manager management system.
This training will be useful to network engineers, system engineers, administrators, and any technical specialists who work with NetApp storage systems and who are interested in administering the ONTAP cluster.
Expected students’ skills and knowledge
To complete this training, it is recommended to have knowledge and experience with ONTAP equal to the ONTAP Cluster Fundamentals WBT, ONTAP NAS Fundamentals WBT and ONTAP SAN Fundamentals WBT courses.
Chapter 1: Course Introduction.
Chapter 2: NetApp ONTAP 9 Clusters.
- ONTAP deployment options.
- The cluster.
- ONTAP select learning resources.
- NetApp cloud volumes learning resources.
Chapter 3: Cluster Setup.
- Supported FAS and AFF configurations.
- Cluster setup.
- Administration interfaces.
- OnCommand System Manager: Guided cluster setup.
Chapter 4: Cluster Management.
- Manage access control.
- Cluster node date and time.
- ONTAP software licenses.
- Manage jobs and schedules.
Chapter 5: Network Management.
- NetApp ONTAP Network Review.
- Network ports.
- Network traffic segregation.
- Nondisruptive LIF configuration.
- Routing management.
- Failover group commands.
- Routing management commands.
- BGP and VIP LIFs.
Chapter 6: Physical Storage Management.
- Drives, RAID and aggregates.
- Advanced drive portioning.
- Flash cache and flash pool features.
- FabricPool aggregates.
- FabricPool in OnCommand System Manager.
Chapter 7: Logical Storage Management.
- Flexible volumes.
- Provisioning storage resources.
- Moving storage resources.
- FlexGroup and FlexCache volumes.
- Autobalance aggregate.
- Chapter 8: Data Access.
- Use NAS protocols to access data.
- Use SAN protocols to access data.
- NVMe and NVMe/FC.
Chapter 9: Data Protection.
- Manage Snapshot copies.
- Restore data from a Snapshot copy.
- Backup and replicate data.
- Storage encryption.
- Secure purge and secure boot.
Chapter 10: Storage Efficiency.
- Thin provisioning.
- Deduplication and compression.
- Flash efficiency.
- Volume and file clones.
- Inline deduplication status.
- Inline data compaction.
Chapter 11: Cluster Maintenance.
- Data collection, monitoring and automation tools.
- Backing up and restoring your cluster configuration.
- Upgrading your cluster.
- Performance recommended practices.
- Technical support.
- ONTAP software upgrades.
- Exploring ONTAP Management UIs.
- Managing ONTAP clusters and administrators.
- Managing physical and logical network resources.
- Managing virtual network resources.
- Managing physical storage.
- Exploring RAID-TEC and creating a flash pool.
- Managing data volumes.
- Configuring NAS protocols in an SVM.
- Configuring iSCSI in an SVM.
- Managing Snapshot copies.
- Encrypting a volume.
- Managing storage efficiency.
- Managing FlexClone volumes.
- Bonus Exercise: creating a FlexGroup volume.
- Installing and configuring Config Advisor.