This training is dedicated to detailed description of technologies and protocols, which are used in modern IP networks in order to provide multicast traffic forwarding. The details of multicast forwarding on levels 2 and 3 are discussed in a great detail, as well as IGMP, PIMv2 and MSDP protocols. The training also contains topics regarding configuration and reservation of Rendezvous Point feature on Cisco routers, and inter-autonomous system multicast routing, using BGP and its multiprotocol extensions. As a result, the training gives a broad understanding and deep knowledge of multicast technologies and routing protocols, which are required to implement IP multicast infrastructure, built on Cisco Systems equipment.
Individual labs will be offered to students. These labs can be used to practice and master the students’ configuration and troubleshooting skills. Different case studies can also be implemented and tested in lab environment.
The training is mainly for network engineers and specialists, whose main responsibility is maintenance of Cisco-based IP networks, implementing multicast traffic delivery. It will also be useful for network and system architects, who want to know Cisco multicast technologies in a great detail in order to make right decisions during network design process.
Expected students’ skills and knowledge
For the most productive study the students are expected to have Cisco ios configuration experience and skills. The knowledge of unicast IP routing protocols and logic is also required.
Chapter 1. IP Multicast Concepts and Technologies.
- Introducing IP Multicast.
- Understanding the Multicast Service Model.
- Defining Multicast Distribution Trees and Forwarding.
- Reviewing Multicast Protocols.
Chapter 2. Multicast on the LAN.
- Mapping Layer 3 to Layer 2.
- Working with Cisco Group Management Protocol.
- Using IGMP Snooping.
Chapter 3. PIM Sparse Mode.
- Introducing Protocol Independent Multicast Sparse Mode.
- Understanding PIM-SM Protocol Mechanics.
- Using PIM-SM in a Sample Situation.
- Configuring and Monitoring PIM-SM.
Chapter 4. Rendezvous Point Engineering.
- Identifying RP Distribution Solutions.
- Implementing Auto-RP.
- Using PIMv2 BSR.
- Using Anycast RP and MSDP.
Chapter 5. PIM Sparse Mode Protocol Extensions.
- Introducing Source Specific Multicast.
- Configuring and Monitoring SSM.
- Reviewing Bidirectional PIM.
- Configuring and Monitoring Bidirectional PIM.
Chapter 6. Multiprotocol Extensions for BGP.
- Introducing MP-BGP.
- Configuring and Monitoring MP-BGP.
Chapter 7. Interdomain IP Multicast.
- Examining Dynamic Interdomain IP Multicast.
- Explaining Multicast Source Discovery Protocol.
- Using MSDP SA Caching.
- Configuring and Monitoring MSDP.
Chapter 8. IP Multicast Security.
- Introducing IP Multicast and Security.
- Securing a Multicast Network.
Chapter 9. Multicast Optimization and High-Availability Features.
- Using Multicast Optimization and High-Availability Features.
Chapter 10. Applications of Multicast.
- Exploring IP Multicast and Video Applications.
- Using IP Multicast in Mission-Critical Environments.
- Exploring How Enterprise IT Uses IP Multicasting Globally.