At this training, which is designed for 3 days, students learn the process of implementing and monitoring vSAN. The training covers the following important topics: vSAN opportunities, deploying virtual machines on a Virtual SAN datastore, cluster implementation, storage policies for virtual machines, and different monitoring mechanisms. Students analyze the functions of distributed clusters (Stretched Clusters) and Two-Node Clusters.
During the laboratory works students will improve their skills to working with vSAN and vSAN clusters.
This training will be useful for storage and virtual infrastructure administrators who want to use software-defined storage vSAN.
Expected students’ skills and knowledge
To complete this training, it is recommended to have an experience in administrating storage systems and knowledge equal to the VMware vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage v6.7 course.
Chapter 1. Course Introduction.
- Introductions and course logistics.
- Course objectives.
- Describe the software-defined data center.
Chapter 2. Introduction to vSAN.
- Describe basic vSAN architecture and components.
- Describe the differences between file, block, and object storage.
- Explain the advantages of object-based storage.
- Detail the configuration of a vSAN cluster.
- Install and validate the initial vSAN installation and configuration.
Chapter 3. vSAN Configuration.
- Apply vSAN design considerations.
- Detail the expansion of a vSAN cluster.
- Configure vSAN disk groups manually.
- Identify physical network configuration requirements.
- Describe the configuration of vSAN networking.
- Test and validate the vSAN configuration and functionality.
- Describe the vSAN architecture and components.
- Describe the differences between the vSAN hybrid and all-flash architectures.
- Describe the advantages of all-flash architecture.
- Describe the space-efficiency features of vSAN.
- Describe the different vSAN assessment tools.
- Explain vSAN License Details.
Chapter 4. vSAN Policies and Virtual Machines.
- Explain how storage policies work with vSAN.
- Define and create a virtual machine storage policy.
- Apply and modify virtual machine storage policies.
- Change virtual machine storage policies dynamically.
- Identify virtual machine storage policy compliance status.
Chapter 5. Managing and Operating vSAN.
- Explain how to configure encryption in the vSAN cluster.
- Explain the management of hardware storage devices.
- Identify alarms for vSAN events.
- Describe and configure fault domains.
- Describe the configuration of the vSAN iSCSI service, iSCSI targets, and LUNS.
Chapter 6. Stretched Clusters and Two-Node Clusters.
- Describe the architecture for stretched clusters and two-node clusters.
- Create a stretched cluster.
- Describe how stretched cluster storage policies affect vSAN objects.
- Create and apply a vSAN stretched cluster policy to meet specific needs.
- Discuss the behavior of a stretched cluster when various types of failures occur.
Chapter 7. Monitoring and Troubleshooting vSAN.
- Discuss hardware failure scenarios.
- Describe the process of resynchronization.
- Explain the possible reasons for resynchronization.
- Describe the use of vSphere Client to detect issues.
- Explain the use of the health service to monitor vSAN health.