At this training, which is designed for 5 days, students learn the mechanisms for optimizing and scaling the existing virtual infrastructure. The training covers the following technologies: content libraries, VMware vSphere® Auto Deploy ™ mechanism, host profiles for management, host performance monitoring mechanisms, security mechanisms for infrastructure protection, encryption of virtual machines.
During the laboratory works students will improve their skills in building an efficient and optimal virtual infrastructure.
This training is a part of VMware Certified Professional 6.5 certification.
This training will be useful to system engineers, system administrators, technical specialists working with the VMware virtualization environment.
Expected students’ skills and knowledge
To complete this training, it is recommended to have knowledge and experience in administrating ESXi and vCenter Server equal to the VMware vSphere 6.7: Install, Configure, Manage (VICM) course.
Chapter 1. Course Introduction.
- Introductions and course logistics.
- Course objectives.
- Identify additional resources for after this course.
- Identify other VMware Education offerings.
- Describe the user interfaces available in vSphere 6.5.
Chapter 2. Network Scalability.
- Configure and manage vSphere distributed switches.
- Explain distributed switch features such as port mirroring, LACP, QoS tagging, and NetFlow.
Chapter 3. Storage Scalability.
- Explain VMware vSphere® Storage APIs - Array Integration and VMware vSphere® API for Storage Awareness™.
- Configure and assign virtual machine storage policies.
- Configure VMware vSphere® Storage DRS™ and VMware vSphere® Storage I/O Control.
- Create and use virtual volumes in vSphere.
Chapter 4. Host and Management Scalability.
- Explain the uses of VMware vCenter® Converter™.
- Define and use content libraries.
- Describe and use host profiles.
- Describe and use VMware vSphere® ESXi™ Image Builder CLI and vSphere Auto Deploy.
Chapter 5. CPU Optimization.
- Explain the CPU scheduler operation, NUMA support, and other features that affect CPU performance.
- Use esxtop to monitor key CPU performance metrics.
Chapter 6. Memory Optimization.
- Explain ballooning, memory compression, and host-swapping techniques for memory reclamation when memory is overcommitted.
- Use esxtop to monitor key memory performance metrics.
Chapter 7. Storage Optimization.
- Describe storage queue types and other factors that affect storage performance.
- Use esxtop to monitor key storage performance metrics.
Chapter 8. Network Optimization.
- Explain the performance features of network adapters.
- Explain the performance features of vSphere networking.
- Use esxtop to monitor key network performance metrics.
Chapter 9. Analyzing vSphere.
- Explain how Proactive DRS enhances virtual machine availability.
- Use vRealize Log Insight to identify and troubleshoot issues.
Chapter 10. vCenter Server Availability and Performance.
- Describe the high availability options for vCenter Server and VMware Platform Services Controller™.
- Describe and use VMware vCenter Server® High Availability.
- Identify the factors that influence vCenter Server performance.
- Migrate a Windows vCenter Server 5.5 system to vCenter Server Appliance 6.5.
Chapter 11. vSphere Security.
- Configure ESXi host access and authorization.
- Secure ESXi, vCenter Server, and virtual machines.
- Use VMware Certificate Authority to configure vSphere certificate management.
- Configure vSphere to encrypt virtual machines, core dumps, and VMware vSphere® vMotion® migrations.